The Sony 135mm f/1.8 G Master lens was announced today. I saw some reviews of it and it looks like a fabulous lens. I’d still love to see a Sony 100mm f/2.8 G master macro lens because I’m not hugely fond of 90mm macro due to its clutch design and lack of sealing.
I don’t currently have anything longer than 70mm in my kit, but I used to own a [amazon_textlink asin=’B0033PRWSW’ text=’Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 IS II L lens’ template=’ProductLink’ store=’photochirp-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’eb21a42d-12ed-44be-9743-d7d8e693712b’]. 135mm has always been a focal length I liked. I think I prefer it to 85mm; don’t ask me why, there’s just something about it that I like.
Most lenses I buy now, I buy with weight in mind. That doesn’t necessarily mean weight is the deciding factor, for example I don’t have to take a specific lens on a long hike with me. As I currently lack anything longer than 70mm, it would certainly be nice to have a lightweight lens in a longer focal length for hiking.
My heaviest combination so far with Sony has been the Zeiss Loxia 21mm f/2.8 lens and the Sony 24-70mm f/2.8 G Master lens. Those were manageable for me, hiking around 20 miles a day. I think I could throw in a voigtlander 15mm but anymore than that will be a nightmare to deal with. I’m looking to lighten my load if anything, so here’s some potential combinations I’ve thought up…
- Sony 16-35mm f/2.8 G Master (82mm thread / 680g) & Zeiss Batis 135mm f/2.8 (67mm thread / 614g) = 1294g
- Sony 16-35mm f/2.8 G Master (82mm thread / 680g) & Sony 135mm f/1.8 G Master (82mm thread / 950g) = 1630g
- Voigtlander 15mm f/4.5 FE Super Wide Heliar (58mm thread / 298g) & Zeiss Loxia 21mm f/2.8 (52mm thread / 394g) & Sony 24-70mm f/2.8 G Master (82mm thread / 886g) = 1578g
- Zeiss Loxia 21mm f/2.8 (52mm thread / 394g) & Sony 24-70mm f/2.8 G Master (82mm thread / 886g) = 1280g
- Sony 16-35mm f/2.8 G Master (82mm thread / 680g) & Sony 24-70mm f/2.8 G Master (82mm thread / 886g) = 1566g
- Sony 16-35mm f/2.8 G Master (82mm thread / 680g) & Zeiss Batis 85mm f/1.8 (67mm thread / 452g) = 1132g
- Sony 16-35mm f/2.8 G Master (82mm thread / 680g) & Sony 85mm f/1.4 G master (77mm thread / 820g) = 1500g
- Sony 16-35mm f/2.8 G Master (82mm thread / 680g) & Zeiss Loxia 50mm f/2.0 (52mm thread / 320g) = 1000g
My Zeiss Loxia 21mm f/2.8 & Sony 24-70mm f/2.8 G master lens combination is slightly inadequate for me as I find myself wanting a wider lens occasionally. I believe that I could really benefit with the Sony 16-35mm f/2.8 G master lens. The problem here is that I don’t anything like a Sony 135mm f/1.8 G master lens to fill in the longer length either.
At the moment I cannot afford any of this stuff, except potentially the Voigtlander 15mm f/4.5 FE Super Wide Heliar lens. So if I do go for a long hike this summer, I’ll probably buy that. Looking into the future though, I’m perhaps more tempted by the Zeiss Batis 135mm f/2.8 than I am the Sony 135mm f/1.8 G Master lens. What about you? That wider aperture would be really nice for evening shots too, but that applies to the Zeiss 85mm f/1.8 batis lens as well.
Photochirp.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program and eBay affiliate programme; these are affiliate advertising programmes designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com & eBay.com.